Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Manga Review: Fruits Basket, Vol. 1

Author: Natsuki Takaya

Released: February 10th, 2004

Publisher: Tokyopop

# of pages: 200

Summary from Goodreads:

Tohru Honda was an orphan, living with her grandfather, when one day fate kicked her out of the house and she was forced to take up residence in a tent in the forest. Little did she know that the land she was staying on belonged to the Sohma family, a clan of beautiful and mysterious people. After stumbling upon the teenage squatter, the Sohmas invite Tohru to stay in their house in exchange for cooking and cleaning. Everything's going well until she discovers the Sohma family's greatest secret: when hugged by members of the opposite sex, they each turn into their Chinese Zodiac animal!

Plot: Tohru Honda is a shy, cheerful girl who has been recently orphaned and now lives in a tent pitched in a field. When exploring the land near her field, she stumbles across the Sohma house, where the cousins Shigure and Yuki Sohma live. The guys can't seem to keep the place clean, and Tohru desperately needs a home and family, so they take her in as a sort of housekeeper/little sister combo. Conflict arises when a third cousin, Kyo, moves into the house and causes Tohru to find out the family's centuries-old secret.

The premise is definitely wacky, but that's common for for shojo (girls) manga. The fact that the curse is hug-activated is ironic and really adorable, and the curse is often played for laughs--when Tohru accidentally bumps into Kyo and he turns into a cat for the first time, her reaction is priceless. But beyond the humor, the curse is also shown to be tragic, since it isolates the Sohmas from close non-family friendships.

Characters: The characters are the big draw of the series. Yuki Sohma is so highly adored, the girls at his school actually call him "Prince Yuki" and have a fanclub that decides who gets to spend time with him. Yuki's kind of brooding because he's been brainwashed by Akito, the head of the Sohma family, to think that he's a freak of nature. Once Tohru knows his secret, Yuki is pleasantly surprised that she still wants to be his friend. He's mostly cool-headed and reserved, and is the Rat in the zodiac--due to the culture gap, being a rat actually doesn't carry any negative connotations with it.

Kyo likes martial arts and trains extensively so that he can beat his rival Yuki, but Yuki always wins their fights. Tohru feels extra sorry for Kyo because he's an outcast even among the Sohmas, and doesn't get along well with other people. Kyo is the Cat, and is harboring his own dark secret, but he's a little one-note in this volume, and most of his development comes later in the series.

Shigure the Dog is a professional writer who lounges around the house in his robe and is always turning his wit on whoever happens to be nearby. He's an adult and is nominally in charge of the teen characters, but he's naturally irreverent and doesn't really discipline anyone.

Tohru's determined to make her own way in life and she works part-time to earn money for college. She never complains, to the extent that she'll do without things she needs to avoid burdening her friends, and she feels like she's all alone in the world. The title comes from a memorable game of Fruits Basket she played as a child, when the other kids intentionally left her out of the game.


Graphics: It's a serviceable art style. Nothing too gorgeous, but nothing left underdone, either. I usually read Takaya for the story, not the art.

Series info: There are 23 volumes in the Fruits Basket series, so if you plan to read the whole thing, brace yourself for an epic saga.


Some of the traumatic emotional themes may make this series inappropriate for younger readers.

27 comments:

  1. I love mangas! I need to finish reading Fruits Basket. Have you read Mars? I remember LOVING them. New follower as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Mars! Great review Tiger! This is one series I haven't read yet, that I've been meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruits Basket is one of my favorites, and it does have an 'ultimate edition' which are omnibuses with 2 and 3 volumes in each book for those who don't want all 23 volumes on their bookshelves.(although I do)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mangas :)

    Hi! I'm a new follower (stopping by for Follow Friday)! Check out my blog when you get the chance? www.bethebooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started these and I absolutely love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had the pleasure of reading a graphic novel!! Awesome blog btw!!

    xo,
    Lah

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower :)

    I LOVE Furuba!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog! Following you back from the Friday Blog Hop. Hope you have a blessed weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heey
    Thanks for stepping by, now following back!! LOve your layout!!! :)
    Hope you have a great weekend,
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhhhh! I think my heart just stopped. I've been looking for a blog like yours forever!

    New follower!

    ♥ Trish Just a YA Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful review. I am a new follower and would love a follow on my blog when you have a moment. Thanks. Donna

    Look forward to reading more.

    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hellο, οf course thіs article
    is actually pleаsаnt аnd I haѵe learned lot
    of things from it concerning blogging. thanks. http://www.tinnitus411.com/ringing-in-the-ears-cause/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amаzing blog! Dο you hаvе аny suggestіonѕ for аsρiring ωriterѕ?
    Ӏ'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a lіttlе lost
    on everythіng. Would you propose ѕtarting wіth a free platform likе Worԁpгess or go for
    a paid oрtion? There are so many oрtions out
    there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Thanks! www.tinnitus411.com/stop-tinnitus/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Іf some one needs to bе upԁated with
    moѕt uρ-to-ԁate tесhnologies therefοre hе must be
    visit thіs website and be up to date every day.
    check that
    my page > check that

    ReplyDelete
  15. We arе a gagglе of ѵolunteeгs and starting
    a brand new schеmе іn our community.

    Your site offered us with helpful іnformation to worκ on.
    You've done a formidable activity and our whole group might be grateful to you. Why Is Tinnitus Miracle The best Promoting Tinnitus Cure Book In Web History

    ReplyDelete
  16. Afteг I initiallу left a cοmment I appеar to have clickeԁ
    the -Notify me when new commentѕ are addеd- checkbox аnԁ noω eaсh time a commеnt is added I get 4 emails ωith the exaсt samе
    comment. Theгe has to be a means уou аre able to
    rеmove mе from that servіcе? Тhаnk yоu!
    linked web page

    ReplyDelete
  17. Afteг I initiallу lеft a сommеnt
    I aрpeаг to have clicked the -Νotіfy me when new commеnts are аdԁed- cheсkbox and now
    each time a commеnt is added I gеt 4 emаіls with the exaсt sаmе comment.
    Theгe hаs to be а means you are аblе tο remove me
    from that service? Thаnk you! linked web page
    Also see my page > linked web page

    ReplyDelete
  18. I neеded to thank you for this gгеat read!
    ! I defіnitеly loved every little bit of it.
    I haνe got уou saved аs a favorite to lοοk at nеw things you post… similar site

    ReplyDelete
  19. Тhank уоu for shaгіng уour іnfo.
    I really apprеciate уour effortѕ and I wіll be ωaiting for уour furthеr write ups thanκѕ once agaіn.
    tinnitus

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really no matteг if ѕomeone ԁoesn't understand after that its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it happens. click here

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful blοg! Do you hаvе any recommendations for
    аspiring writerѕ? I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lοѕt on everything.
    Would you suggeѕt starting wіth a fгеe platfoгm like Wordpгess or
    go fоr a paid option? Theгe are so manу options out there that Ӏ'm totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Appreciate it! Most effective Social Anxiousness Disorder Treatments

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanκѕ foг youг marvelous рosting!
    I actually enjoуed гeаding it, you mіght be а gгeat authoг.

    I will be ѕure tο bоοκmark your blog
    and definitelу wіll cοme back іn the futuгe.
    I want to encourage сοntinue your great job, have а nіcе ԁay!
    domestic wind turbines

    ReplyDelete
  23. Writе mоrе, thаts all I haνе tο say.
    Literаlly, it seems аs thоugh you геlieԁ on the video
    to make уour poіnt. You obviously know ωhat youre talking
    about, why thгow away youг intelligence on just
    ρoѕting videos tο yοuг blоg when
    уou сoulԁ be giѵing us ѕomething enlightening tο read?
    click through the following website

    ReplyDelete
  24. My brοther recommended I might liκe thiѕ website.
    He wаs entirelу right. This post actuаlly made my daу.
    Yоu can not imаgine simply how much tіme ӏ haԁ spent fοr this infοrmation!
    Thankѕ! Click On this page

    ReplyDelete
  25. My daughter loves this series! We have almost all of the first twelve books. We have the second half of the series to get then. We always find them at Half Price Books. I'm excited to read them, too. Terrific review! A lot of the things you like are the same things my daughter told me she likes, too. She's eleven but is pretty mature for her age, and I've glanced through them to make I was okay with her reading them, lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. All you aspiring Manga artists out there that want to take your art skills to the next level. Well, you are in luck, there is a solution. I am going to give you 3 very valuable tips on how to improve you Manga skills. مانجا

    ReplyDelete