Monday, July 12, 2010

Manga Review: Alice in the Country of Hearts, Volume 2

Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 2

Author: QuinRose, Hoshino Soumei
Released: March 2, 2010 by Tokyopop
# of Pages: 192
Summary: (from Goodreads)

Warning: May contain spoilers from previous novel. Read at your own risk.

Alice begins to grow accustomed to the strange world Peter took her to. And everyone wants to get to know Alice better, too. She gets to know the "Ones with Duties" better. She finds out more about the mysteries of the World. One of the biggest mysteries.

Plot: Despite the amazing start in Volume 1, Volume 2 fell a little flat for me. There was no real character or plot progression. Yes, Alice finds out a big secret about Wonderland, but that is all the really happens. The male characters are still in love with her, which is actually starting to become quite annoying. And strangely enough, there is not one single mention of "the game." Okay second volume, but not the best. However, I am still intrigued with the series' possibility. I am really hopeful that the Volume 3 will get things back on track. But if it does not, then sadly, this may be one series that I just have to give up on.

Characters: Overall, I still really like the characters. However, I am on the fence in regards to who is my favorite. This volume does show a different side to many of the characters. And while I appreciate that on some level, it kinda bugged me. For the most part, I felt like I needed to get to know the characters well before things began to change. Not sure how these changes will effect the overall progression of the series, but I am sure that I will find out in the next volume.

Graphics: Like the first volume, the graphics are amazing. There were numerous times throughout the novel that I would find myself just staring at the pictures, and taking everything in. The attention to detail in this novel is absolutely top notch.

Similar graphic novels:

Alice 19th by Yuu Watase 

Pandora Hearts by Jun Mochizuki

Series information:

There are currently three volumes of this series available with the fourth being released in September of 2010. Currently, there is no information regarding how long the series will be.




This series is rated YA for readers ages 14+.

No comments:

Post a Comment